I was rejected by the Rabbi I was hoping to work with. Talk about a huge blow. I waited several months for him to return from his sabbatical, only to be told that he was not taking on new converts. And no, this was not the famous Rabbi-hazing you hear about. He was very sincere in his rejection. But this left me with a problem - a time line problem. Suddenly I am feeling the crunch. I have limited time if I want to convert before I get married. Of course, I will still choose conversion regardless, but it is very important to me to start the new stage in my life as a Jew.
The Rabbi did give me some useful information. He suggested some books (which I had already read - teachers pet, I know) and pointed me to Reform Jewish Outreach Boston to sign up for an Intro to Judaism course. The woman who works there is extremely nice and helpful and pointed me to another Rabbi to contact. And told me about the different classes.
Well guess what? I have to wait several months for the classes to start - they do not begin until after the High Holidays. And I have to convince A. to take them with me.
One thing the woman told me was to present the course not as a way for A. to learn more about Judaism, though he probably will, but as a way to support me. And that got me thinking. I probably will need support. Not just to get over this initial feeling of rejection. But also to deal with the changes to my life that are bound to come about as a result of this decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment