Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Choosing Judaism

I like to say that I always knew I would convert. That's not completely true. But from my first experience with Judaism, I was drawn to it and I definitely began to think about conversion from a young age.

When I first met my fiance, A., I told him I was interested in converting. He was skeptical. Saying you are going to do something is very different from actually doing it. Fast forward about 5 years. After spending so much time dating a Jewish man, exploring his religion through family events, and studying holidays and customs so that I would not feel left out, I knew I would convert. It was no longer a matter of if, but rather when.

I picked up a copy of Anita Diamant's Choosing a Jewish Life. This is a great book for anyone considering conversion. I was profoundly affected by this book. But probably the part that affected me the most was the section on Christmas.

I do not view Christmas as a religious holiday. I grew up in a non-religious family. Christmas was a holiday about family, tradition, coming together. The thought of giving it up was heartbreaking.

Despite this, I began encouraging A. to attend synagogue. I started learning to make challah. But little more came of my conversion plans. And A. refused to find a synagogue.

Fast forward 6 more months. When A. proposed, I picked up Choosing a Jewish Life and re-read it. This second reading was different from the first. The first reading, I read more as an outsider looking in. This reading, I read it as an active participant. And then I told A. I would be converting. I have always been drawn to Judaism, and it is finally time to stop dreaming about being Jewish and to actually become Jewish. I want to start my new married life Jewish. And so begins my journey through conversion.

No comments:

Post a Comment